Second day of the World Watercolor Month. This isn’t finished but it is done for the day.
I spent some time today sketching and painting small images of the Texas Mountain Laurel. This is the most successful of the three.
The hardest part for me is doing the foliage and dealing with the muted activity of what is going on behind the foreground foliage and how to express that all without going in after the firm edges of the leaves and adding background. On this one I did lighter leaves and laid darker and varied ones on top.
I’m going to try another wet in wet approach first, as I did yesterday with mingled colors of lights and mediums, not committing myself to placing the darks from the beginning, leaving soft edged areas of whiteness to fill in with blossoms and planning where to put the pods. In that way some lighter leaves can be lifted out or negatively painted along with positive leaves.
What I’ve had success in is using the brush stroke to make a leaf in one stroke. Happy with that. The leaves follow along rhythmically along a curved or straight thin stem and those lines could lead the eye through the painting, but one risks having too repetitive shapes, so playing with lost and found edges would help that.
The blossoms are best done with mixing the permanent rose and ultramarine blue, leaning more toward the blue and going in later with drops of water and/or lifting our sworls of light to make the petal patterns that also go in pairs rhythmically on a with darker semi closed petals at the bottom of each pair.
As an aside, the wind was gusting at time today so that I had to hold down my easel while painting! Next time I shall have to remember to hook my bag with water bottle to the bottom of the easel to weight it down.