Over the past couple of days I’ve worked on a larger more detailed version of the mesquite shade value sketch that I blogged about earlier. There are parts of it I’m happy with, and some I am not. I need more practice on foliage for one. The other is that it looks like the rock wall/bench is higher and slopes down toward the foreground, and I’m puzzling over how to make it look flat. Any suggestions?
Here’s the photo reference again:
And here are various stages in the process:
For the underpainting I used cobalt and pyroll orange. It has a pinkier look to it, a variation from the underpainting colors of cadmium orange and cobalt that I learned in the Michael Riordan workshop last fall. I painted around the lightest lights and put the orange into the areas that would be warmer.
For the greens, I consulted some color charts I’d done earlier in larger blocks on my paper (as opposed to the teeny tiny squares I did when I was a novice and didn’t “get” the value of color charts) The top row is hansa as the first layer, the second as new gamboge, the third has lemon yellow laid down first. I decided the mid summer warmth of the foliage would be best made with new gamboge.
And here’s the last in process photo. You can see that I took the foliage area and at times went over the edges iof the branches of the trunk, but I knew that the browns would be able to cover those edges and make them thicker.
As always, I welcome comments and constructive criticism, and thank again for stopping by!