Yesterday and today I worked on small studies of snow on bare branches. Oddly enough I’m realizing now that I didn’t work from life (too busy when the snow was here) nor from photos (I don’t know why!) anyway, here are Day 2 and 3 of the 30 in 30 paintings challenge.
The color of the stormy winter sky was made with cobalt and quinacridone burnt scarlet, sometimes with a little quin gold added. On these two, I put in the background after the branches and snow.
On other studies I’ll show later, I used masking for the snow, painted the sky and then added the branches on top. The browns will certainly cover the blues. That’s the good thing about practice. You get to know which colors can be successfully painted on top of which other ones.