Ok, I know, I know, that I said that my theme of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge was going to be “seas and skies” but rules are meant to be broken! Ha!
Well, it wasn’t a rule, it was a guideline that I temporarily abandoned for good reason. My friend who couldn’t attend the show, dropped off at my house a beautiful bouquet of roses to celebrate. I immediately knew I wanted to paint them. I also knew that it would be difficult!
I knew that if I wanted to paint them from life, I had to work on it before they started drooping. So, over the weekend I tried unsuccessfully to paint them in their full glory several times, and the results just weren’t pretty.It wasn’t working for me. I had a clear idea of what I wanted: a wet in wet bouquet with just the suggestion of detail on some of the blooms, and soft flowing colors. But in reality, there were too many details and I couldn’t loosen up enough to make it as I wanted, but still have the blooms look like roses.
So then I decided to concentrate on just a couple of blooms, and this is how the painting decided to go. One full bloom and the suggestion of one on the side. I am happy with the lost and found edges on this piece and how much I learned from methodically trying to get the fullness and curve of each petal. It was a really enjoyable painting day for me. I am doubly grateful for the flowers and for our friendship.